Tuesday 13 November 2012

Designer Profile: RowanJoy


Ever wondered about our independent designers? Who they are? What makes them tick and float their boat?
Well wonder no more as we have a weekly blog featuring each and every one of them. We have presented a range of questions for them to answer and thus share with you. 
This week we kick start with the longest running designer in store, someone I have personally worked with for 8 years now, drank many a bottle of wine, mused some fantastical and great ideas, and who has been a very valuable and great support to Godiva.
She also runs her label from the Studio in Store here at 9 West Port.
It's the very lovely Rowanjoy







Hello, I am …Rowan of Rowanjoy


I design ...... Mostly dresses but have been known for the odd pair of shorts, skirts to capes too. All of my designs are either one off or limited editions with a mix of fabrics, prints and textures. I also now create vintage inspired wedding dresses.


When I am creating my typical day involves ........
It varies between running my own one woman production line if I am doing a run of dresses or taking longer to create a one off piece where I play about more with my fabrics and design of the piece.


When I am not designing and creating I am .....
.....logging, keeping my website up to date, arranging photoshoots, avoiding doing my accounts.


I get inspiration from.....
a huge variety of sources, I love watching film and get a lot of inspiration from the costumes, also just seeing what people are wearing on the street and how they put their outfits together is always inspiring to see.

Being an independent designer is important to me because...... I get the freedom to do what I love everyday and get to control my business and hopefully steer it where I want to go.


I knew I wanted to be a designer when.... I was pretty young I think it was a combination of my girls world fashion wheel and watching the clothes show on a Sunday afternoon that got me hooked.


My greatest achievement so far is ......really just being able to say I am still in business, I know many people who started fashion businesses and weren’t able to continue for various reasons so to still be going I feel very proud.


I cannot live without .......my diary it keeps me right and I haven’t yet managed put my trust in using the calender on my phone.


My favourite thing I have ever bought or found ......is probably my miu miu glitter boots who can resist a bit of sparkle.

The Elsie Dress by Rownjoy 

Shop with Rowanjoy at her Etsy shop or with us in store or online.

Thanks Rowan for everything.

Next week..........Mollie Brown with be answering our Q's

x



No comments:

Post a Comment