Wednesday 18 June 2014

Designer Q&A: Abetwix



Meet the latest local independent brand to be stocked in Godiva: Abetwix! Edinburgh College of Art graduate Steph Kelly draws her unique animal and geometric designs and then screen prints them by hand onto a range of unisex garments.

You can catch Abetwix in action on the catwalk at the Fashion Loves Music event next month, but in the meantime you can shop the unisex tees and canvas tote bags - each in wolf, owl and leopard designs - in store at Godiva!




We chatted to Steph to find out a little bit more about the brains behind the label:


Hello, I am:
Steph 

I design:
Printed T-shirts, sweatshirts and bags.

When I am creating my typical day involves:
A strong black coffee to start, then I will check and follow up any emails, do some work on social media and some research. Then I could be doing anything from working on new designs, to hands on screen printing or planning the styling for the next photo shoot.

When I am not designing and creating I am:
Spending time with friends and family, or glued to Netflix.

I get inspiration from:
Science fiction, different cultures, the natural world, I think inspiration can be found all around us!

Being an independent designer is important to me because:
I have total artistic freedom, and although it is a lot of hard work I feel far more motivated because I am working for myself. 

I knew I wanted to be a designer when I was:
Seven and I spent hour after hour drawing new dresses for Scarlet O’Hara.

My greatest achievement so far is:
Giving up smoking.

I cannot live without:
Books

My favourite thing I have ever bought or found is:
My vintage 1950’s pale blue prom dress, it is highly embellished and very sparkly, it makes me feel like a princess.







No comments:

Post a Comment